Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cyclist McEwen decides to retire

LOS ANGELES — Australian cycling star Robbie McEwen retired on Sunday after the final stage of the Tour of California, concluding a 17-year professional career saw him capture 12 Tour de France stage victories.

The 39-year-old from Brisbane was among the world's greatest sprinters at the peak of his career, which also saw him win 12 stages of both the Giro d'Italia and his homeland's Tour Down Under.

"It's a little bit surreal," McEwen said as the notion of retiring hit him a few minutes after climbing off the bicycle competitively for the last time.

"Crossing the line I felt like, 'Oooh finished.' I'm still going. I just want to go back to the hotel, have a shower, sit down, have a cold beer and think, 'All right.'

"Maybe (it will hit me) when I don't have to pack a suitcase for the next race . . . that's something I'm honestly looking forward to. I've had a great career."


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment