Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Swede Blixt wins Frys.com Open

SAN MARTIN, California — Jonas Blixt is a frustrated hockey player turned golfer. He's also a winner in his first season on the PGA Tour.

"I was more interested in hockey. I wanted to be a hockey player," the Swede said Sunday after his breakthrough victory in the Frys.com Open. "I never really got big enough or good enough to play. Golf kind of suited me pretty well."

Blixt was a defenseman and played hockey well into his teens.

"It's the greatest sport ever," he said. "The lockout just kills me."

The third PGA Tour rookie to win this season, Blixt holed a 4-foot par putt on the final hole for a 3-under 68 and a one-stroke victory in the Fall Series event at CordeValle. He earned $900,000 and a tour exemption through the 2014 season.

"The weird part is I've been working on some stuff with my swing, and I wasn't feeling completely 100 percent about my swing," Blixt said. "I just told myself, 'Just give it a good hit every time and see what happens. Just focus. You can't do anything better than your best.' That's what I did on every shot."


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment